The organized unit of United Methodist Women shall be a community of women whose purpose is to know God and to experience freedom as whole persons through Jesus Christ; to develop a creative, supportive fellowship; and to expand concepts of mission through participation in the global ministries of the church.
- President – Elaine Norris
- Vice-President – LuAnn Lawson
- Secretary – Sharon Dennison
- Treasurer – Evelyn Brunson
Our UMW supports the following missions:
Within our church…
- Family Promise
- FUMC Youth Division/Resurrection/Mission Trips
- Rummage Sale and Fall Market (Application for the October 28, 2017 FALL MARKET here)
- Divinity Scholarship
Within our local and state community:
- Bread of Life
- The Caring Place and the Sack Pac Program
- FUMC Camp Lookout Scholarship
- Local Outreach
Within Holston Conference and out of state:
- Jubilee Project
- Holston Home for Children
- Big Stone Gap
- Red Bird Mission
- Henderson Settlement
- Sacred Road
- National Mission Institutions related to UMW
United Methodist Women is the largest denomination faith organization for women with approximately 800,000 members whose mission is fostering spiritual growth, developing leaders and advocating for justice. Members raise up to $20 million each year for programs and projects related to women, children and youth in the United States and in more than 100 countries around the world.
As members, we have opportunities to attend Holston Conference events such as Sisters In Service Retreat, Spiritual Enrichment Event, Mission U Event, Social Action Workshop, UMW Annual Meeting, and Mission Trip. If overnight is not possible, there are day events such as District Day Apart and Mission Event, Social Action Day, and District Annual Meeting. It is at these events we meet old friends and make new ones in fellowship, praise, and worship.
UMW SMALL GROUPS CALENDAR
- Elan Circle – Hostess determines date and time of meeting
- Friendship Circle – 2nd Tuesday of each month at 1:30 PM
- May Dooley Circle – 2nd Tuesday of each month at 10:00 AM
- Rose Circle – 3rd Tuesday of odd numbered months at 11:30 AM
- Seekers Circle – 3rd Tuesday of each month at 6:30 PM
UMW UNIT MEETING – All women are invited! – 2nd Thursday of even numbered months at 11:00 AM
- February – Call to Prayer and Self-Denial
- October – World Thanks Offering
- April, June, & August – each has a special program/speaker giving us challenging information and opportunities to serve.
- December – Christmas Luncheon at 11:30 AM
A Circle hosts each month and our meals can be a “brown bag”, potluck salad, or covered dish lunch.
For more information about the United Methodist Women, contact any of the officers listed above or come visit!